Wednesday, February 29, 2012

TY Trip to Dirty Dancing


At six o'clock on the 22nd of February the all the members of the SCC Transition Year, bar some sick Germans, set out to the Grand Canal theatre to view the latest performance of 'Dirty Dancing'. I really didn’t know what to expect as it was Mr. Sherwood taking us and it could really be anything. The title, however, made me nervous! 

We arrived and walked into the main lobby where we were greeted by a flock of programme sellers! Once passed them we all slugged are way up 12 flights of stairs to our mezzanine. Only when I took my seat right in the middle of the theatre did I realise the true scale of the place and more importantly how far away I was from the stage! This didn’t matter however because once the show had started I was glad I was so far away. The moment that the first group of dancers/actors pranced out onto the stage I was truly shocked as the choreography and the dancing itself was truly amazing! I was also amazed by the set changes. Me, being a school boy, I'm used to school performances which are good in their own right but don’t even compare to the real deal. I mean they changed the whole stage from a ball room to a bedroom in a matter of seconds! I also was impressed with the characters and subsequent actors. The two main characters Johnny and Baby were not surprisingly the most impressive, although penny was also very ‘impressive’ but in a slightly different sense... 

The plot was hard to understand, as later I was told I would have had to see the movie to get any of it. However I think I had a fair idea of what was going on as I am about to briefly explain: 

Basically Baby and her family spend a summer at a recreation camp and baby falls in love with the dancing instructor Johnny. My favourite part of the entire performance was when Johnny arrives at the end by strutting up through the crowd jumping onto the stage and shouting ‘nobody puts Baby in a corner!!!!!’ This had almost all of the middle aged women in the place standing. When the performance was over I was genuinely surprised how much I enjoyed the evening! Overall, a very enjoyable evening. 

William Wood. 

No comments: